The emotional overload of writing a will | West Village : The emotional overload of writing a will

Thursday 15 January 2015

The emotional overload of writing a will

After years of procrastination, I have hired a lawyer and am getting down to the serious business of writing a will.

The soul searching required to do this properly is overwhelming.

It's nothing to do with the assets, it's about guardianship of my son. The weight of responsibility is incomparable to any decision I have made before. Bobble has grown into a free thinking, cheeky, stubborn, live wire of a human being who is at the centre of our funny little family unit.


What if the truly unthinkable happened and he was left orphaned tomorrow, who would care for my son? Whoever we choose; would they know how to love him the only way he knows?

Would they know he likes his milk slightly watered down and his Weetabix quite crunchy and that he will loose it if you break his biscuits in half (no idea why).

Would they allow him to look for 'Stick Man' at the foot of every oak tree and give him time to simply lie down to look at the sky, play with leaves and eat grass.

Would they learn the words to  Carole King's "You Got a Friend" that he sings every single night.

When he's standing there having a meltdown and looking straight into their eyes, would they know that all he wants is for them to kneel down, arms stretched and he'll come running.

Would they tell him that he is loved, he is safe and that everything is going to be ok.

Of course I'd like him to be well fed, have a room of his own and good education but more than anything, the protection of my son's emotional wellbeing is my biggest wish. To have your emotions acknowledged and taken seriously is what we all want from life, be it at home, work, school, socially -  it's no different for a young child.

If the truly unthinkable were to happen, Carol King's lyrics would be quite fitting for my son's angels.




"You've Got A Friend"

When you're down in troubles
And you need some love and care
And nothing, nothing is going right
Close your eyes and think of me
And soon i will be there
To brighten up even your darkest night

You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you got to do is call
And I'll be there
Yes I will
You've got a friend

If the sky above you
Grows dark and full of clouds
And that old north wind begins to blow
Keep your head together
And call my name out loud
Soon you'll hear me knocking at your door

You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there
Ain't it good to know that you've got a friend

When people can be so cold
They'll hurt you and desert you
And take your soul if you let them
Oh, but don't you let them

You just call out my name
And you know wherever I am
I'll come running to see you again
Winter, spring, summer or fall
All you have to do is call
And I'll be there
You've got a friend







2 comments :

Bookaholic Mum said...

This brought a wee tear to my eye. Something you hope never comes to fruition but important to consider it and make plans

West Village Wanderer said...

Thanks for reading and glad it moved you...yes its so important but requires so much soul-searching.

01 ; 04 var bs_pinButtonPos = "center"; 05 var bs_pinPrefix = ""; 06 var bs_pinSuffix = ""; 07 //]]> 08 10